The Fire Island Hosta quilt is an exquisite piece of artwork done by Lancaster's fine quilters. This king quilt features a scalloped border and 474 yards of hand-quilting. Many hours of detailed work by skilled hands produced this quilt. The quilt is initialed and dated. On a king bed this quilt will allow 17 inches of drop per side.
A quilt is not just a comfortable bedspread: it is also a masterpiece of artwork. The artisans that design our quilts choose quality vivid materials and arrange them in an eye-catching work of art. Choose from our selection of over two hundred Amish handmade quilts for a quilt that perfectly complements your style.
Although the pieces of fabric are stitched by machine to make certain tighter stitching, all the quilting is done by hand. 100% cotton materials compose the top and bottom of the quilt. The batting sandwiched between those two layers, however, is 100% polyester. This polyester batting warranties both warmth and outstanding washing results.
Most of our quilts are generous enough to overcome the necessity for a dust ruffle or pillow shams. Just as bed heights differ, each quilt's overall size differs. We post the quilt's dimensions with the estimated drop for you to compare to the proportions you are looking for. It is important to do your measuring before your purchase!
As a matter of fact, these quilts are indeed machine-washable! We recommend complying with these guidelines for the best care of your heirloom quilt:
- Wash in a washing machine with cold water on gentle cycle.
- Use only light laundry soap, such as liquid Cheer for colors (No bleach or bleach alternatives. No Woolite or fabric softener.) For the very first washing, include 1/2 cup vinegar as well as 2 tbsps of salt along with the laundry detergent. This natural home remedy protects against hemorrhage and aids with establishing the colors in your quilt.
- Remove quilt when the washer finishes to lessen wrinkles as well as color-bleeding.
- Never place a quilt in the clothes dryer! Line completely dry on a breezy day.
- Quilts could be dry-cleaned at your own risk, but we absolutely advise washing.
Amish Homemade Quilt Trivia
For hundreds of years, many types of strategies have been perfected to make it much simpler for quilters to sew multi-angled quilts together. One of these solutions is called paper piecing, which is regularly taken advantage of to piece the complicated edges of the Mariner's Compass quilt
. Paper piecing, as it name illustrates, uses an unique paper pattern on which the cloth pieces are sewn. The pattern leads the quilter to correctly sew the pieces together so that the completed top will lie out evenly. Methods such as this are a tremendous aid to our quilters!