The Fire Island Hosta quilt is an exquisite piece of artwork done by Lancaster's fine quilters. This king quilt features a scalloped border and 474 yards of hand-quilting. Many hours of detailed work by skilled hands produced this quilt. The quilt is initialed and dated. On a king bed this quilt will allow 17 inches of drop per side.
A quilt is not only a relaxing bed cover: it is also a masterpiece of art. The artisans that make our quilts select top-notch vibrant materials and organize them in a distinct masterpiece. Select from our selection of over 2 hundred homemade quilts for a quilt that perfectly complements your taste.
Though the fabric pieces are sewn with each other by machine to guarantee tighter stitching, all the quilting is done by hand. 100% cotton materials compose the top and bottom of the quilt. The batting sandwiched in between those two layers, however, is 100% polyester. This polyester batting guaranties both warmth and superb washing results.
Almost all of our quilts are sizable enough to take care of the need for a dust ruffle and pillow shams. Just as mattress heights are different, each quilt's sizing can be different. You'll find we post the quilt's measurements with the determined drop for you to compare to the overall size you are looking for. It is important to do your homework ahead of your purchase!
Can you wash these quilts?
Fortunately, these quilts are certainly washable in a washing machine! We suggest complying with these standards for best results:
- Machine wash with cold water on delicate cycle.
- Use only light laundry detergent, such as liquid Cheer for colors (No bleach or bleach alternatives. No Woolite or fabric softener.) For the initial washing, add 1/2 cup vinegar as well as 2 tablespoons of salt along with the laundry soap. This natural home remedy prevents hemorrhage and assists in establishing the colors in your quilt.
- Remove quilt when the washer quits to minimize wrinkles and color-bleeding.
- Never put a quilt into the dryer! Line completely dry on a windy day.
- Quilts can be dry-cleaned at your own risk, but we definitely suggest washing.
Amish Homemade Quilt Facts
Family Farm Handcrafts employs close to 200 Amish and Mennonite ladies to make quilts for our shop.