The Fire Island Hosta quilt is an exquisite piece of artwork done by Lancaster's fine quilters. This king quilt features a scalloped border and 474 yards of hand-quilting. Many hours of detailed work by skilled hands produced this quilt. The quilt is initialed and dated. On a king bed this quilt will allow 17 inches of drop per side.
A quilt is not just a comfortable bedspread: it is also a masterpiece of art. The artisans that design our quilts select top quality vivid fabrics and arrange them into a distinct work of art. Select from our stock of over two hundred handmade quilts for a quilt that perfectly matches your taste.
Though the fabric pieces are sewn with each other by machine to make sure tighter stitching, all the quilting is done by hand. 100% cotton materials make up the top and bottom of the quilt. The batting sandwiched in between those 2 layers, however, is 100% polyester. This polyester batting warranties both heat and exceptional washing outcomes.
You will discover our quilts to be remarkably large in length and width. The majority of our quilts are generous enough to take care of the necessity for a dust ruffle and pillow shams. Just as bed heights differ, each quilt's overall size can be different as well. You'll find we list the quilt's dimensions along with the determined drop for you to compare to the dimensions you want to have. Please do your research before your purchase!
Can you wash these quilts?
As a matter of fact, our quilts are certainly washable in a washing machine! We suggest complying with these standards for the best care of your heirloom quilt:
- Machine wash with cold water on gentle cycle.
- Use light laundry soap, such as liquid Cheer for colors (No bleach or bleach alternatives. No Woolite or fabric softener.) For the very first washing, add 1/2 cup vinegar and also 2 tbsps of salt in addition to the laundry soap. This natural home remedy avoids bleed and helps to protect the colors in your quilt.
- Remove quilt when the washing machine quits to reduce wrinkles and also color-bleeding.
- Never ever put a quilt into the clothes dryer! Line dry on a breezy day.
- Quilts can be dry-cleaned at your own risk, but we definitely advise washing.
Amish Handmade Quilt Trivia
Over the centuries, many different strategies have been produced to make it less complicated for quilters to sew multi-angled quilts together. One of these techniques is named paper piecing, which is routinely used to put together the elaborate edges of the Mariner's Compass quilt
. Paper piecing, as it title suggests, uses a particular paper pattern on which the material cuts are sewn. The pattern helps the needleworker to correctly sew the pieces together so that the finished top will lie out evenly. Strategies such as this are a very good support to our quilt-makers!