A quilt is not just a cozy blanket: it is also a masterpiece of artwork. The crafters who create our quilts select high quality colorful fabrics and arrange them in a creative masterpiece. Select from our stock of over two hundred Amish homemade quilts for a quilt that best complements your style.
Although the fabric pieces are stitched together by machine to ensure tighter stitching, all the quilting is done by hand. 100% cotton fabrics make up the top and bottom of the quilt. The batting sandwiched between those two layers, however, is 100% polyester. This polyester batting guaranties both heat as well as exceptional washing results.
Most of our quilts are generous enough to reduce the necessity for a dust ruffle or pillow shams. Just as bed heights vary, each quilt's proportions differs. You'll find we specify the quilt's dimensions along with the calculated drop for you to compare to the measurements you may need. Kindly do your homework before purchasing!
As a matter of fact, our quilts are certainly washable in a washing machine! We recommend complying with these standards for the best care of your heirloom quilt:
- Machine wash with only cold water on gentle cycle.
- Use only mild laundry soap, such as liquid Cheer for colors (No bleach or bleach alternatives. No Woolite or fabric softener.) For the initial washing, include 1/2 cup vinegar and 2 tbsps of salt along with the laundry detergent. This home remedy avoids bleed and helps to protect the colors in your quilt.
- Remove quilt as soon as the washing machine finishes to decrease wrinkles and color-bleeding.
- Never ever put a quilt into the clothes dryer! Line dry on a breezy day.
- Quilts could be dry-cleaned at your own risk, but we definitely suggest washing.
Amish Homemade Quilt Facts
Over the centuries, many types of techniques have been perfected to make it much simpler for quilters to piece multi-angled quilts together. One of these techniques is named paper piecing, which is routinely used to combine the elaborate points of the Mariner's Compass quilt
. Paper piecing, as it title specifies, uses a special paper pattern onto which the cloth pieces are stitched. The pattern directs the seamstress to properly assemble the pieces together so that the finalized top will lay out flat. Methodologies such as this are a fantastic help to our quilt-makers!